
What I plan to undertake as my first project is the rice hull carbonizer-pump system
This is something that could be used as an alternative to the conventional irrigation pumps driven by gasoline or diesel engines.
The system shall have the following components: (a) a rice hull carbonizer, (b) heat recovery and steam generation component, and (c) a water pump. I choose the process of carbonization rather than complete combustion as heat source because I want this system to be more sustainable. The carbonized rice hull that would be generated as by-product of the system could be applied to the soil as organic fertilizer or soil conditioner thus making the system more sustainable and environment friendly.
I am currently working (starting just last January 2009) on the development of a continuous-type rice hull carbonizer. Its design is very simple such that it could be easily fabricated in small welding shops.
The picture shown is the first prototype of the rice hull carbonizer fabricated in January 2009. It is already able to produce carbonized rice hull. It took 3 hours to carbonize 40 kg of rice hull with this prototype. Temperature attained at the flue gas chamber ranged from 300 - 400 degrees C. I am still doing some refinements in order to come up with higher operating temperatures as well as to make its operation more convenient and safe. Watch for the result of my next test runs!

This is something that could be used as an alternative to the conventional irrigation pumps driven by gasoline or diesel engines.
The system shall have the following components: (a) a rice hull carbonizer, (b) heat recovery and steam generation component, and (c) a water pump. I choose the process of carbonization rather than complete combustion as heat source because I want this system to be more sustainable. The carbonized rice hull that would be generated as by-product of the system could be applied to the soil as organic fertilizer or soil conditioner thus making the system more sustainable and environment friendly.
I am currently working (starting just last January 2009) on the development of a continuous-type rice hull carbonizer. Its design is very simple such that it could be easily fabricated in small welding shops.
The picture shown is the first prototype of the rice hull carbonizer fabricated in January 2009. It is already able to produce carbonized rice hull. It took 3 hours to carbonize 40 kg of rice hull with this prototype. Temperature attained at the flue gas chamber ranged from 300 - 400 degrees C. I am still doing some refinements in order to come up with higher operating temperatures as well as to make its operation more convenient and safe. Watch for the result of my next test runs!

CleanEarth/17February2009
I am interested to know how much does i unit of carbonizer cost? I would like to use carbonized agricultural wastes in cassava production.
ReplyDeleteHi Jill,
ReplyDeleteSorry, I have not visited this site of mine for a couple of weeks. The design of the carbonizer is still under the process of refinement hence I could not exactly say yet, at this moment, how much it will cost. However, I am targeting its cost not to exceed US$400.00
I would really like to see this thing work. This could help alot of our farmers like me.
ReplyDelete